Parent Sponsorship

As a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident that is at least 18 years old, you can sponsor certain relatives to come to Canada. If approved, they can live, study and work once they become permanent residents.


A parental sponsor has many responsibilities that you should be concerned about. You must make sure that when sponsoring a parent or grandparent, you can support them financially, so they do not seek social assistance from the government.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada only accept a certain number of applications for sponsorship a year. Sometimes a quick and easy way to reunite families is through the Super Visa.

How does the Parents and Grandparents Program work?

The Parents and Grandparents Program application process typically opens once a year. It lets citizens and permanent residents of Canada sponsor their parents and grandparents to come to Canada.

Here is how the program works:

Step 1: If you’re eligible to become a sponsor, you must submit an interest to sponsor form.

Step 2: After the online form closes, IRCC will review the form submissions and remove any duplicates. The government randomly selects and invites potential sponsors to apply to sponsor their parents and grandparents.

Step 3: If you’re invited to apply, IRCC must receive your application package by the deadline that’s in your invitation.

To avoid using outdated forms, don’t prepare your application unless you’re invited to apply.