Work Permit

To apply for a regular work permit in Canada you must have a job offer from a Canadian employer (exceptions apply for graduates of Canadian colleges and others).

Depending on the specifics of your case, you can apply for a work permit 1) from outside Canada, 2) from inside Canada or 3) upon entering Canada.  In all three cases you will need:

  • a job offer from a Canadian employer;
  • written confirmation from Human Resources & Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) that your employer can hire a foreign worker to fill the job, (a positive labour market opinion, LMO). Note:  There are jobs that don’t require an LMO but this is the exception;
  • other, per your specific circumstances.

Don’t risk the refusal of your application by just filling forms without knowledge of the law*. Once an application is refused, a permanent record is created. Seek professional help from an experienced, ICCRC certified consultant. Get help via a consultation today.

In most cases, you will also need to:

  • Submit a completed application.
  • Satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your work permit.
  • Show that you have enough money to support yourself and family while in Canada.
  • Respect the law and have no criminal record. (Police clearance may be required.)
  • Show that you are not a risk to the security of Canada.
  • Be in good health. (Medical exam may be required.)

You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada or upon entering Canada if your meet certain criteria. Get help via a consultation today.

*You must have knowledge of the Immigration & Refugee Protection Act, regulations, policy & relevant Federal Court decisions for a successful application.