Live-in Caregiver

An In-Home Caregiver is qualified to provide care to a child, an elderly person or an adult with disabilities. Live-in caregivers must live in the private home where they work in Canada.

The In-Home Caregiver Program allows Canadian families to hire workers from abroad when there is a demonstrated shortage of Canadians and permanent residents to fill available positions.

Applicants who meet the requirements receive a Work Permit and can enter Canada on this basis.  Caregivers must work for two years, or 3,900 hours, and then become eligible to apply for permanent residence in Canada.

Don’t risk the refusal of your application by just filling forms without knowledge of the law*. Once an application is refused, a permanent record is created. Seek professional help from an experienced, ICCRC certified consultant. Get help via a consultation today.

To become eliligible for the program, you need to have:

  • A positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from your Canadian employer
  • A signed written contract from your future employer, signed by both parties
  • Education that is the equivalent of a Canadian secondary school education
  • At least six months’ training or at least one year of full-time paid work experience as a
    caregiver or in a related field or occupation (including six months with one employer) in the past three years
  • English or French language knowledge (good)
  • A work permit (to enter Canada)

Are you an employer wishing to hire a caregiver?  If so, you must meet certain requirements including:

  • making effort to first fill your position with a Canadian, a permanent resident or a foreign worker already in Canada;
  • having enough income to pay a live-in caregiver;
  • ability to provide acceptable accommodation in your home;
  • sign an employment contract for the job of caregiving for a child, elderly or disabled person
  • submit an application for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) with the employment contract to Human Resources and Skills Development Canada/Service Canada (HRSDC/SC)
  • other.

For detailed information, get helpvia a consultation today.

*You must have knowledge of the Immigration & Refugee Protection Act, regulations, policy & relevant Federal Court decisions for a successful application.