PNP Skilled Worker
In addition to the Federal Skilled Worker occupations, the individual Canadian provinces have their own lists of in-demand occupations for their province. Please see the high level summaries below for each province.
Avoid the refusal of your application due to filling of the forms without knowledge of the law. Once an application is refused, a permanent record is created. Seek professional help from an experienced, ICCRC certified consultant. Get help via a consultation today.
Ontario – Skilled Worker Category – Applicant Requirements
There is only a general foreign worker category for Ontario.
- Employers must be a corporation, limited partnership or sloe proporetorship actively in business for 3+ years and have gross revenues of $1 million in previous fiscal year and 5 full-time employees (if in Toronto area); must have pre-approval to hire a foreign national; plus some other requierments.
- Workers must have a job offer for a skilled occupation (NOC O, A, B); demonstrate 2 years relevant work experience in past 5 years, plus some other requierments.
British Columbia – Skilled Worker Category – Applicant Requirements
- Workers must show the intention to live permanently in BC and have accepted a permanent, full-time employment offer from a qualified employer in occupations including Physicians, Registered Nurses, Registered Psychiatric Nurses, and Midwives.
- Tourism/hospitality workers (about 15 occupations), food processing workers (6 occupations) and long haul truck drivers may apply under the Entry Level and Semi-Skilled category.
Alberta - Skilled Worker Category – Applicant Requirements
- The skilled worker employer driven category is open for those who show the intention to live permanently in Alberta and have the related education and training. Additional criteria must be met for certain trades, chefs, cooks, line cooks, early childhood educators and managers/supervisors in the retail, fast food and service industries.
- The semi-skilled employer driven category is open in several industries including Food and Beverage Processing, Hotel and Lodging, Manufacturing, Long Haul Trucking and Food Services.
Saskatchewan - Skilled Worker Category – Applicant Requirements
- Must have permanent job offers in the province in most cases. There are opportunities in the Health Professions (physicians, nurses, other), for Long Haul Truck Drivers (who have worked for 6+ months), for Hospitality Sector workers, and for professional skilled workers or managers (NOC O, A or B).
Manitoba - Skilled Worker Category – Applicant Requirements
- Workers must intend to permanently settle in the province and score at least 55 points on Manitoba’s scale based on age, education, work experience, language ability and adaptability.
- Must have training, experience, language ability, meet occupational requirements for permanent employment and also have at least one of the following: close relative in Manitoba, 2 affidavits of support from close friends, etc. in Manitoba, 6 months previous full-time Manitoba work experience or completion of a 1+ year education program (excluding language course).
There are also Strategic Recruitment Initiatives which allow applicants to apply as part of a targeted MPNP promotional iniative or if supported by an ethnocultural community organization or regional economic development organization in Manitoba.
Newfoundland & Labrador - Skilled Worker Category – Applicant Requirements
- Skilled workers must have specialized skills in demand in the province and a job offer from a qualified employer.
Prince Edward Island - Skilled Worker Category – Applicant Requirements
- Must be self-employed (professional) or a skilled worker and have a job offer from a PEI employer within the applicants field of study, preferably on the Skilled Labour Shortages list (construction, industrial trades, health occupations, skilled manufacturing occupations, for example).
- 50 points score on PEI’s self-assessment, moderate command of English or French and show the intent to settle in PEI.
Yukon - Skilled Worker Category – Applicant Requirements
- Skilled workers must have a guaranteed job offer with a Yukon employer in an O, A or B occupation, have the required certification for the job if applicable, have the required work experience and communication skills, and have a signed Memorandum of Understanding with the employer.
Northwest Territories - Skilled Worker Category – Applicant Requirements
- Must have a permanent full-time job offer from a qualifed employer in NOC O,A or B, have required certification, be licensed if applicable, and have the applicable communication skills.
- For the Critical Impact Worker Category, must have a temporary work permit and have worked in the same position for 6 months, have a permanent full-time job offer from a qualifed employer , have proof of financial support, have required work experience and have the applicable communication skills.
Source: IMMIGRATION PRACTITIONERS HANDBOOK 2011 (Lynn Gaudet & Camilla Jones), Provincial Nominee Programs, pages 23 – 82